Monday, April 23, 2018

Obliteration and Design ADD

Dear readers, there's a trend I hate in decor, and that is the amateur portrait wall. I don't understand why people enjoy walls covered in strangers. Creepy. In my own art, I enjoy the process of obliteration. (See previous post for an example). I enjoy reducing my artwork to render it deceptively simple. I also enjoying dismantling lamps and breaking vases. I don't know why I do what I do what I do, I just know that I have to.

Anyhoo...I was absolutely giddy when I discovered the work of Oliver Jeffers.


Love!  I'm a big fan of color blocking. Love how the lady's eyes are peeking over a sea of aqua. Also love how the color carries onto the frame. When I saw this I wanted to buy all the crappy art at the Goodwill and cover them with paint. (P.S. The Goodwill is a great place to buy frames.)


So here's a piece I bought.


Here it is after painting. I wanted to leave a little peek of what it used to be. I hung it in my dining room. As is often the case, I grew tired of it in short order.


So...I covered it in teal paint by Valspar. BTW, I am loving sample sizes of wall paint. I actually like this. My intent was to do a wall of color blocking using various pieces from The Goodwill.


Alas, after several weeks I grew tired of the piece again. This is what's like to live with the common affliction called Design ADD. The piece felt too heavy and in changing up my apartment for Spring, I feel the need to lighten up.


So, I stripped it down further and decided to use just the frame.


I'm a lover of simplicity and geometry. I hope that one day I will arrive at the perfect arrangement in my apartment, and that I will never have to move a thing again. Ah. Surely that is Nirvana.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin