Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Simply Live: A Few Bloggers I'd like to Meet

I love so many bloggers, it's hard to narrow it down to only a few who I'd like to meet.  You already know I'd like to meet Kim, who has been a long time blogger friend.  Here are several of my other favorites.  Each of these ladies inspires me in one way or another, and each have recently written profound posts, that have caused me to think.  The various posts fit right in with my theme of simple living.  Or as another blogger said to me, how about "Simply Live."  Yeah, how about that.  I have been inviting some guest bloggers to write posts for this series.  The first post will appear on July 4.

Today I'd like to introduce three of my long-time favorite bloggers.  You probably know each of them, but I'd like to let you know how they've inspired me recently. 


As you know, I adore Jessie of My Mod Style.  It has been so fun watching Jessie grow into an even more interesting person over the years. Jessie wrote a very provocative post examining her own consumption  recently (mentioned below on post regarding collecting).  n another recent post Jessie discusses the Tiny Home Movement. If this is something you are interested in, Jessie's post is a great resource. She spent a lot of time collecting videos on this fascinating topic.  I've long been interested in small space living, and have been an apartment dweller my whole life.  I used to fantasize about living in a large loft (and still love them).  But my new fantasies are of a tiny, prefab home with tons of windows and trees, and living off the grid.  Or as you know, a camper.  However small, that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice beauty.  To see more about how beautifully a tiny home can be designed, see HGTV Design Star, Season 6, Episode 9.  Jessie's recent post is a wealth of information about the movement.  See her post here.  Stay tuned for more posts about tiny homes, alternative living and intentional community.


Victoria of sfgirlbybay.  Sfgirlbybay is one of my favorite blogs.  I mentioned to you in a previous post, that sometimes when a blog gets super popular, I start to feel bad when I read it. There are a couple of blogs that have gotten so mega popular, where they go to conferences and meet each other, etc. When I read these blogs I feel inadequate, excluded. Surely no one's life is that perfect. Don't get me wrong, I am a lover of beauty, but I enjoy getting to know a blogger as a human being.  Such is Victoria's blog.  I feel her warmth and find her interesting.  And though she's gained huge popularity, I don't feel like crap after reading her blog.  I feel energized.  I made a decision a long time ago that if a blog made me feel bad, I stopped reading it.  Victoria recently wrote a sensitive post about the pressures of social media, as part of her "Thoughts for a Friday" series.  It's so timely, a must read.  With each new technology, comes a whole new set of etiquette.  Since the technology changes so fast, the etiquette can be hard to keep up with. Victoria engages in important discussions regarding social media, with a gentle touch. She's never preachy. I do believe all bloggers, blog readers, as well as social media users are interested in this topic, and should read this post.


Anna of Door Sixteen.  Isn't she the cutest?  I love Anna's blog.  I love her austere design and her very humble way of describing the impossible renovations she and her husband do.  Husband's a cutie, and the four legged children are also adorable.  In another lifetime, I had fantasies of having an apartment in NYC, so Anna helps me live that vicariously.  Her design eye is impeccable.  I'm hoping she can design the cover for my book when it's complete.  I love Anna's makeup tutorials, and pretty much everything about her. I love that she wears a "uniform" to work. I did that for years. Black pants, black loafers (feet always hurt), and black pretty tote bag, big enough for an umbrella.  Anna wrote a post lately, and once again, I realized I am not alone in my feelings.  Indeed, in today's technological world, no one is alone.  There is always someone that feels the way you do, and when they say something in such a way that it touches you, it's magic. You know, when you read a post and think, "Wish I'd written that."

Such was Anna's recent, insightful and thoughtful post on goals.  First of all, the girl's a Woody Allen fan, so that makes her good peeps in my book. Anna's been at a job she loves for a long time.  It makes me happy to read that! I don't know anyone like that.  I never liked a job, though I always worked hard.  Everyone I know has job hopped, been layed off, is unemployed, underemployed or overworked.  All of these suck.  It is the rare person who is happy with their jobs. Those few who are happy, are sometimes patronized.  People think they are underachievers, or complacent.  That's crap.  No, it's a beautiful thing.  You spend so much time at your job, you should enjoy it.  Life is short.  By all means, if you have a job, you enjoy, go nowhere.  You're always at the right place at the right time, and the grass ain't necessarily greener.  I learned that the hard way.

I totally get what Anna says about goals, too.  For example, I could make a goal to paint my bathtub, and then beat myself up when I procrastinate.  But let's face it, does it matter if I paint my tub?  No.  This is something I WANT to do.  Not HAVE to do.  So don't make goals of things you want to do, and then get mad at yourself.  Waste of time.  Remember there are somethings you want to do.  I blog because I want to.

As far as the ridiculous question:  "Where would you like to be in the next five years?"  Who can answer that question honestly? It was one of the most ridiculous questions I encountered in interviews.  Classic Catch-22.  There's no right answer.  If I indicated I wanted to grow in a company - that was wrong. Looked like I was just trying to get in the door for a promotion.  If I indicated I wanted to stay in the job for five years - wrong again.  That made me look lazy and unmotivated.  The only thing we can really say truthfully is:  I want to be healthy and happy.

I always felt like an idiot when asked this question in school.  I've never known what the heck I wanted to do with my life. I didn't know at 18, and I don't even know now. Wait, I guess that's not completely true.  I know what I don't want. And I know I'm creative. Wish I'd had some mentoring when I was a young woman.  I didn't know myself at all.  At work when they asked this question in seminars, I wanted to cry.  But let me tell you, the most interesting people I know either feel lost or don't know what they want to do in the future.  Stop thinking about the future.  What do you want to do right now?  What if you always lived your life that way?  Anna's post is actually very Buddhist.  I read a wonderful book called "Being Nobody, Going Nowhere" by Buddhist nun Ayya Khema.  Profound.  All about freeing yourself from the tyranny of thinking you need to be someone else, or be somewhere else or do something else.  You are perfect the way you are.

What if we just make plans to be happy and healthy today? Stay in the present moment, don't worry about the future.  If something makes you happy, and it hurts no one - do it.  If something makes you unhappy, and it hurts no one - don't do it.  Be happy, harm no one and don't worry what any one thinks.  That's the way I'm endeavoring to live my life.  As authentically as possible, and I get the feeling that is Anna's goal as well.

I believe these three women, are part of a growing self acceptance movement, of which I also want to be a part. I'd rather read their blogs than watch the Kardashians (just for example, have nothing against them).    Blogging has helped me gain confidence.  For that I am so grateful.  And I grateful to women, like Jessie, Victoria and Anna that take the time to share their lives.  Ladies, you are fabulous.

Stay tuned for more simple living, empowerment and fun!  There will be a sequel to this post next week, because there are a few other bloggers I'd love to meet.  Hope you have a safe holiday!  xo

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Oh how sweet! Thanks for the mention. :) I just got asked the "where do you see yourself in 5 years" when I was interviewed for my new position at work. I answered the question, yet it's probably not true. hahaha You can't hardly plan anything 6 months in advance now a days!! Maybe that's what I should of said. ;)

I'm pretty sure you and I will meet in person someday. I'd also like to add that since I've stepped back from my blog I'm way happier. It was sucking the life out of me. Too much time in front of the computer. I want to blog when I feel like it, not to be popular. Kudos to all those bloggers who have struck it big. It's not for me though and I'm okay with that.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin