Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Living Room for Today

I did a little rearranging yesterday.  Rearranging is my favorite thing!  I would love to have a job doing window display.  As soon as I completed a display, I'd already be thinking of the next.  Just like my apartment.

My living room presents a lot of challenges.  It's a strange L-shape and it has to serve many functions.  It's my work area and chill area.  The biggest challenge is that I don't have any money in my budget to decorate.  I solve that problem by moving around things I already have.  My home is humble, but I love it.  I like it simple and uncluttered, and I'm learning to live with imperfection.  No matter where you live, it's your home, so it should make you happy.

In the last version of my living room (described below), I was unhappy with the balance.  The little table to the left of the sofa just isn't working.  I fixed the balance problem by moving the large lamp to the small table, and putting a larger vase on the mid-century table.  I kinda love it.  I opted for a pink slip cover.  I really wish I could paint the walls gray and the floors white.
I put my Urban Outfitters rug in front of the sofa.  It doesn't really work here.  It's too small and the color isn't really right.  I thought it was hot pink when I ordered it, but it turned out to be cranberry.  I thought about foregoing a rug here, but it looks strange to me without a rug.  It does have a lovely texture and is comfy on the feet.
I love ottomans.  They make perfect coffee tables and perfect occassional seating.  You can move them around easily.

Hmm, I like that silver pillow, but...

I think I like the yellow one better.  Every room needs a pop of yellow.  I get away with using a lot of color because I keep pattern to a minimum.


 The moon lamp and the big blue vase are from CB2.  I'm loving the large scale pottery.

Here's why I moved my big white rug.  My office area.  Every time I move the bench out so I can work, I mess up the rug.  It was kind of driving me crazy that I had to straighten the rug every time I was done working.  It's really heavy!  You know how it is being an extreme freelancer, you work like a zillion hours a day, so I was straightening the rug constantly.  That got old. 
So I moved the rug to my new meditation/yoga area of the living room.  Now my strange alcove has a real function!  I also enjoy looking at it while I'm chilling on the sofa.  I know the lighting's bad.  We were having a storm.  I really gotta give props to interior photographers, it's not as easy as it looks.

2 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You need to put a bowl of candy in that apartment. Like Good N Plenties.

Um, have you heard of the book "Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived In That House," by Meghan Daum? It's about how she has this moving fetish and how she is in love with all different kinds of houses and places from NYC to Nebraska to now she's in California. I'm in the middle of it. What you do to your rooms reminds me of what she does moving. I got it out of the library. You should check it out. Maybe it'll inspire you to write about what you do.

Peggy said...

I loved your idea about the Good N Plenties, but I ate all of them. :)

I haven't heard of that book. I'm going to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm having trouble typing because my brother's cat is walking on the keyboard, the mouse and in front of the screen. He's cracking me up!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin