Monday, August 15, 2011

An icon...

There weren't many people I could relate to when I was growing up.  Gloria Steinem was one of the first.  She's been a great hero in my life.  As a young woman suffering from low self-esteem her book, Revolution from Within, was a shining light just when I needed it.  Gloria, thank you for that and thanks for always being an inspiration.  HBO airs the documentary entitled, Gloria in Her Own Words tonight at 9:00 p.m.  Don't forget to set your DVRs!  I can't wait.  Good thing my best friend has cable.

2 comments:

belledame said...

i did watch it. for a one-hour piece it was very interesting. i heard a few names that i've never heard before (on account of not actually studying the feminist movement).

the ads they showed in the opening segment went a long way to highlighting what a harsh era the 60s was. i've heard of older women who watch "mad men" and are like, you have no idea how awful it was for us. safe to say, i can only guess at the depth of the problem.

Peggy said...

I can't wait to see it. I did study women's studies in college, so I'm pretty excited about seeing it.

I started working in the early 80s and it was still bad. In those days, men were allowed to post girly calendars on the wall and grab us pretty much when they wanted. Remember, we hadn't even acknowledged at that point that domestic violence was indeed real.

I worked in a large law firm next to an incompetent man. I made about $3.90 and hour and he made $15.00. And I was asked to train him. All the while my boss grabbed my shoulders, ass and boobs. No lie. We've come a long way, and I'm proud. I've marched for equal rights. When people put down the feminist movement, they have no idea what they are talking about.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin