Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Simple, but not easy

I have a very exciting week lined up here at Creative Influences.  This week is all about art!  I am obsessed with art.  The process of creation is a fascinating one, and I am always intrigued by what people feel compelled to create.  Why do we do it?  Because we have to.  Today I'd like to feature the work of Sue Gillette.  In particular, her Moderno series.




Modern, minimal painting is probably my favorite genre, if indeed it's possible to choose a favorite.  Sue does it very well.  This type of painting requires a steady hand.  It requires skill, restraint and a kind of grace in communicating with the canvas.  It can't be forced.  It may be simple, but it's not easy.  As a lover of simplicity, minimal paintings are my favorite to hang in my apartment.

My own work is an attempt to reconcile reductionist tendencies.  The inherent difficulty with reductionism is  there is always room for a work to be further reduced.  It can be a frustrating process since I am a perfectionist, one line out of place and the painting is ruined. To see my recent minimal attempt, click here.  To see what happens, when I mess up one of these paintings, click here.  If I don't get a minimal painting right, I end up layering paint on the canvas.  This type of painting is a lot more fun to execute as it's not so exacting, but it's hard to know when to stop.

2 comments:

Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You know, I don't always understand what I'm seeing, but I can tell you I had a good feeling when I looked at your minimalist painting. I felt irritated when I looked at the one you said you messed up but I don't know why!

Peggy said...

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. The minimal ones are more peaceful to look at, which is funny because they exacting and not as fun to execute. The other one is much more kinetic - it has a certain restlessness to it, and definitely not as accessible. It is much more interesting in person because it's very tactile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin