Friday, May 27, 2011

Little Mushrooms in My Yard

Yesterday I fully intended to get up early and catch the Eastern Sun.  You see there was a patch of little mushrooms in my yard.  I had an idea for a photo collage, I'd photograph them every day to show their growth.  They grow at an amazing pace - almost doubling their size everyday.  It's fascinating to observe.  I was ill this morning, and it rained.  Again.  Seemed like a good reason to sleep a little late.  I awoke foggy to a strange sound.  The lawn mower!  Oh no!  I ran downstairs, but it was too late.  The little patch of mushrooms had been cut down.  I know it sounds crazy, but I was sad.  As I stood there limply with my camera, my ears started to hurt from all the noise.  I looked around the neighborhood and there must have been 20 lawn mowers going!  Is it just me or does any one else find this strange?  I mean besides the obvious waste of time, energy, money and resource, isn't a little odd that we force patches of Earth to grow in an artificial way?  And we get really competitive about it too.  There's a few yards in the area that grow wild flowers.  They leave them alone and they flourish.  They look great and are a lot less trouble.  I think the Earth is a very fine thing.  She can decide what she wants to grow in a certain area without our interference.  And there's really no such thing as a weed.

Image from my sketchbook

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin