Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Day 1 of Painting Project - Finding your Voice

I feel as if I am struggling to find my voice in paint.  Painting for me is largely experimental.  I seem to have two styles of painting - minimal and maximal.  I always have more than one canvas going at the same time.  Like many artists, I am seldom happy with my work.  I've been attempting to commit myself to painting every day, so I'd like to use this blog to document 30 days of paintings. Perhaps having this method of accountability will keep me more disciplined!  I hope so.  Here are two canvases I prepared on Day 1.

Untitled 2011, 24" x 30", acrylic on canvas

Untitled 2011, 24" x 30", acrylic on canvas.

As you can see, very different.  Probably the only thing these two canvases have in common is that I am always trying to achieve balance on the canvas.  I work a canvas until I am satisfied with it - or not.  There are many times I ruin a painting.   Knowing when to stop is always the hardest part.  Why do I do it?  Because I must.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin