Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gallery Hopping on a Friday Night

Friday night was such a thrilling night. I went gallery hopping with my two best girlfriends. Of course, we had to go to Wall Eye since they were kind enough to include a couple of my photos in their second annual Festivus celebration. Here's some of the art that I saw.

This cool piece was hanging in the door. Must be the mascot.

Isn't this a great idea! Leave your grievances at the door. My sister-in-law and I cracked up as we decided which grievance to leave behind. Some of the grievances were hilarious. One of my favorite went something like this: "It makes me mad when poo stinks." Ha! I am pissed off at the state of health care in the U.S., because one of my loved ones is not able to get the help he needs (and he has insurance!). Whew, works me up even thinking about it .... So I put my grievance on a posted note and forgot about it for a while. I turned my thoughts to my favorite thing - art! Sorry that some of the photographs are not great quality, there were lots of people, which is a good thing! I think you'll get the idea.

Here's my photos on the wall. I can't tell you how thrilling it is to see my work among other artists' work. This is part of my Abandoned Series. If you'd like to see more, click here. It's my belief that art elevates the consciousness of a city. I do believe that Cleveland sometimes gets a raw deal in the public perception. There are many artists who are trying to change the perception of Cleveland. I love to take gritty, urban shots and turn things that may be seen as ugly into art.

Every art show needs sculptural elements, and this fits the bill nicely. Not sure if he's the abominable snow man or the yeti, but I dig him. I forgot to write down this artist's name, but as soon as I find out, I will update.

I adore the moody multi-media pieces by Sarah Dougherty.

Gorgeous works by Stephanie Rond. I believe these are silkscreens, they looked like real lace. And how fab are the ladies in pink armor! Girl power! I want these.

This piece by Marlee Pickles is one of my favorites. I had the pleasure of meeting Marlee and she is a sweetie. I told her how I loved work where the human is a tiny part of the work. Kinda shows the insignificance of being human when compared to the cosmos. She said her take on the piece was "one boat". That we think we are alone, but that we are all in the same boat. Awesome. I intend to follow Marlee's work.


Sorry for the flash! But here is the totally fab art by one of the gallery owners, Dante Rodriguez. I want both pieces! Besides being my favorite colors, they make me think of the monolith in the movie 2001. I love the play on headless bipedal and four legged creatures and evolution.

Next, we stopped at the 78th Street Studios. If you think Cleveland is not a happening place Wall Eye, Gordan Square Arts District and 78th Street Studios are places you should explore. The W. 78th Studios are post-industrial lofts. The lofts are still kind of raw, which adds to their character. I want to live there!
Fab patina is everywhere. Tin tiles, ceilings and industrial doors and windows are part of the charm. And there is so much art everywhere my head was spinning. The gallery owners of Legation and Forum Art Space made us feel very welcome. I plan to do individual posts on some of the artists who have their work there. Stay tuned. If you are interested in seeing photos of some of the great people I met, you can check out my facebook, here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin