Thursday, September 30, 2010

My first DIY project in my new place


You know those crappy composite bookcases that you find everywhere (including on the curb)? Well, I must confess, I bought one at Target yesterday. What can I say? It was on sale for $16.00. I had a strange little corner in my kitchen and needed somewhere to display tea pots. The thing was really heavy, big thank you to Tonk for carrying it up the three floors. When I opened the package, I was mightily disappointed. It was not easy to assemble, had a million little pieces and the back support is made of cardboard! Well, as soon as I took it out of the box, that cardboard - which had been folded strangely - broke apart into three pieces. Like I've said many times, I am not a good DIYer. I have great ideas, but, well, execution is a problem.

What to do? I don't want to take it back. It's heavy. I don't want to litter the curb (or my newly-cleaned crawl space). I got the idea to tape the cardboard together and paint it. I painted the inside shelves as well, in my new favorite color - gray. I must be crazy, I was up until 3:00 a.m. working on this project.

It's not perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with it. I've displayed a few of my favorite things. On the top shelf are a teapot I found at the Salvation Army and marvelously simple white cups from CB2. The middle shelf boasts an orange teapot and blue cups I found on sale at Urban Outfitters, only $1.99 each! This proves that beauty can be accomplished on a tiny budget.

Here's my inspiration for the piece. As I mentioned below, I absolutely adore this credenza which has been upcycled by Think Contemporary. I also adore the teapots from Cosas. I need one, or two. Oops. Just when I said I wasn't buying anything new.

1 comment:

VisuaLingual said...

So pretty! I love that you transformed something so common and, yeah, sort of ugly, into a fresh, colorful piece!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin