Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Apartment - The Influences

I'd like to take a break from obsessing about politics to obsess about one of my other favorite muses. My apartment, ahhh. I love my apartment, humble though it is. My apartment is my lab, where I experiment with colors. Lately, I've been taken with a strange color scheme.


Lots of white, of course. And lots of pink, of course. The surprising part is the burst of yellow and shot of gray. I bought some new pottery from the Salvation Army. Spent about $12.00. The gray vase is rather a departure for me.



I still really want the Hella Jongerius vase from Ikea, which I've written about many times. Ikea won't be carrying this vase much longer, so I need to get off my lazy butt and make the trip to Pittsburg. (I wish Ikea would sell online!) Image from flickr user Noorieke. By the way, Noorieke has a fabulous home, you must check it out.



Look at this beautiful image I found on Ikea's site! I adore yellow with white and hot pink.


I discovered a blog called Happy Mundane. His Christmas decor is so fab, I'd be tempted to leave it up all year. Happy Mundane is a delightful blog, I'll be adding it to my blog roll.


I've been wanting to spray paint branches for a while. Jon put detailed instructions on how to spray paint branches, as well as other craft projects. He also wraps yarn around them for texture. I love the effect.

The sales have been good, and I've bought too many cute things lately.



I bought these beautiful pieces of art glass from my favorite vintage store. They were on sale! I am loving glass, and starting to mix it with my ceramics.

I got this cute ceramic pot at Target. It says Germany on the bottom. A spot of sunshine on a gray day.



A corner of my living room. I adore yellow, turquoise and hot pink with huge amounts of white. But I'm getting tired of the covers on the sofa.





Kim at Desire to Inspire did an interesting post on the Chesterfield. (Image House to Home via Desire to Inspire.) I'm not enamored of the Chesterfield, I don't care about things such as tufting. I like things simple and unadorned. I adore this version, unadorned and in lilac. Oh dear, I'm trying not to think about lilac. It sure does look great with that turquoise vase. And speaking of lilac, Jamie Drake uses it in a way that makes me swoon. (See previous post here). It was the beautiful rooms designed by Jamie that influenced my purchase of art glass.

I enjoy seeing the legs of furniture, so I'm thinking about removing my sofa covers. I have to accept that I am not getting my sofas reupolstered! Together, they cost less than $300. There's no way I'd spend a couple of thousand for a $300 purchase, although I wish they were both pale pink.

I dearly love turquoise and have been contemplating it with cobalt blue. Watching the sun play with this bottle is a meditational experience.


My curtains were influenced by curtains I saw in Elle Decor (see previous post here). And this color combination was influenced by a post at Apartment Therapy.



I adore this color scheme! Hot pink, dark blue and tons of white. (See previous post here).


So how does a girl mix two color schemes, a love of things and still flirt with minimalism? Stay tuned.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin