Monday, January 12, 2009

First Paintings of 2009 - Minimal v. Maximal


One of my New Year's resolutions is to spend more time being creative, and specifically, to paint more. In 2008 I faced stressful and challenging employment issues and my painting suffered. I don't know if it will be possible, but I'd like to paint a little each day. I'm off to a good start.

I always work on two canvases at a time. That's because I have two distinct styles.

Minimal. This painting is based on my memory of a beautiful rug I saw in an Indian movie and is a celebration of the full moon. "Dance of the Pink Booties Under a Cancer Moon," 24" x 30", acrylic on canvas. This painting is part of a planned series.



Maximal. This painting is dedicated to Bob Dylan, and is multi-layered. See below for the evolution of this painting.

While I adore working in both genres, it is the simple, minimal paintings I prefer to hang on my walls. And, don't believe what they say - size matters! I adore large paintings! The first time I bought a canvas that was 24" x 30", it seemed huge and I was intimidated. I painted 16" x 20" for a long while. Now I love large canvases. I want to paint on bigger and bigger canvases! It's addicting, and I am happiest when I am painting, with music, of course.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin