Saturday, January 12, 2008

Goodbye Shoji Screen

The shoji screen in my living room is hiding my air conditioner, but it has to go.


Friday morning a critter tried to come into my apartment. I heard a noise and peaked around the screen, there was a tiny hand pulling the accordian of the air conditioner, trying to get in. Wish I'd had my camera. I did the only logical thing I could think of, I screamed! It was a squirrel. I swear they are getting smarter and smarter. I gave him a heart attack when I screamed, I swear, he almost fainted. After the shock wore off, he gave me a dirty look and ran away.






At lunchtime I was window shopping when I came across this screen. The gallery was closed, but I'm sure it is expensive. I was stunned by its beauty and it struck me why my screen is not right.


I have been putting off painting it and changing the rice paper. But now I see why. My screen is too dark. The squares are too small. I love the look of these larger squares, they would let in much more light. (Kim, you were right.) The truth is, I am never going to paint that screen, and I really don't like it anyway.



Okay. The screen needs to go and I need to get that air conditioner out of the window, I thought. Before any other critter tries to come in to get warm. I won't need the air conditioner for six months. By that time I might have found a new place.



So Friday night I took the air conditioner out of the window.





What a pain! And what a mess. I had water and leaves everywhere. It was so heavy I had to drag it into the closet on the towel. But - afterward I sighed with pride of accomplishment.






I've spoken about the laws of attraction many times. Since the screen is not working, it has to go. When I decide something must go, I thank it for serving me and I don't look back. I took the screen out to the curb. I don't mind, the curb has been very good to me. And the screen was only $5.00 at a garage sale. I went to the store and by the time I got back it was gone. It pleases me to think of it having a new home where it can be loved instead of sitting in a closet or storage area. Material possessions must not be hoarded.


When I want something new, I let something go. I have my eye on the curb for a credenza.


As I looked at the pictures of my place, I realized I wanted more light, and a little more orange. So today, I moved a few things around (again).



Much airier. Now I just have to take those curtains down and wash them and clean the windows. Ahh, a woman's work is never done.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

WOW, I love that last photo of your apartment. The white curtain looks better (I think) then the screen. BRIGHTER! MORE WHITE!!!!!! :)

kim. said...

YAY!!!!!!! What an improvement. It brightens up the space SO MUCH. See? Every once in a while I say something that makes sense. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin